Masters of Nursing Average Salary
Earning a master’s degree in nursing allows you to not only work in higher-level jobs, but it also allows you to make more money. With a master’s degree, you can become an advanced practice nurse (APN) and earn a significant amount more than you can as an RN with just an associate’s degree or bachelor’s degree. The degree track is for nurses who are interested in taking their career to the next level. This means advanced nursing positions, working in education, or taking on management roles within the medical community. Each one of these options comes with its own salary track. Let’s take a look at what you can expect to earn in the nursing field with an advanced degree.
Degree by Type of Nurse
There are four main types of nursing paths from which to choose if you’re interested in becoming an APN and getting your masters of nursing:
- If you want to work in a clinical setting with patients, you can become a nurse practitioner. This position resembles closely to what a general practice doctor would do, though you don’t have as much education and training. But because of the lack of general practice doctors, nurse practitioners are in high demand. With this advanced degree, you will work under the supervision of a doctor or on your own seeing patients from beginning to end of patient care. Depending on the state, some NPs can prescribe medication as well.
- Those interested in research, teaching, and management can pursue the clinical nurse specialist. This role allows nurses to not only provide complete patient care, but they also work with nurses, mentoring them and coming up with ways that they can improve patient care and nursing care.
- A certified nurse midwife is a professional who takes on both the role of a nurse and a midwife. Not only do they serve as primary health providers, but they mostly deal with women going through childbirth. Certified nurse midwives are able to prescribe some medications, treatments, and more in all 50 states.
- If you are interested in anesthesia, then an advanced nursing degree can also prepare you for the role of a certified nurse anesthetist. This position requires nurses to pass board certification and to get recertified every two years.
If you are interested in pursuing one of these advanced nursing paths, here are the average salaries you can expect, based on the type of nurse you become. Remember that there are many factors that can affect your salary. And the more experience you have in your respective field, the more money you can expect to make.
- Nurse Practitioner: $89,787
- Clinical Nurse Specialist: $87,867
- Certified Nurse Midwife: $91,242
- Certified Nurse Anesthetist: $156,032
Salary by Specialty
As you can see, becoming certified in the midwife or anesthetist fields is one way to make more money with your masters of nursing. As a nurse practitioner or clinical nurse specialist, you can also make more money by choosing a specialty where there’s a higher demand for nurses. In fields such as emergency/critical care, neonatal intensive care, and geriatrics, you can expect to make more money in many areas of the United States.
You can also make more money by working as a travel nurse. In some cases, travel nurses make up to double of their normal salaries. In this situation, you’ll work within a large network of hospitals and other facilities, moving from job to job in temporary positions as needed. The plus side is that you’ll be offered the higher salary, but in this type of position, you may be living in a location for as little as four weeks and although you might have a “home base,” you’ll rarely stay in a location for over a year. So, this option works best for someone without family obligations, who has the freedom to move frequently.
Online Master’s in Nursing Degree Programs
Earning a Master of Science in nursing (MSN) degree can open a world of career possibilities within the nursing profession. Listed below are featured online universities that confer MSN degrees.
||Grand Canyon University — The MSN/MBA dual degree from Grand Canyon University will prepare people to become leaders and managers of nurses. A MSN in Nurse Education provides students the educational and background to teach people the skills necessary to become nurses. A MSN in Nurse Leadership provides the communication skills required to establish good relationships between nurses, patients, and management as well as other leadership skills. Click Here|
||Walden University — The RN to MSN program at Walden University will help you advance your leadership skills and prepare you for management within the healthcare industry. The RN to MSN program will allow you to expand on your ability to positively contribute to society through the care you give to patients. Specialty MSN degrees are also available in informatics, education, and leadership. Click Here|
||Sacred Heart University — The MSN in Clinical Nurse Leadership from Sacred Heart University is a specialization that focuses on the skills and knowledge needed to fulfill patient outcomes, assess risk, and coordinate with others to ensure the highest quality patient care. A MSN in patient care services is designed to teach how to provide the most efficient and effective patient care. The MSN in Nurse Education is designed to complement your clinical skills in teaching future nurses with the best practices of nursing. Click Here|
||Kaplan University — The MSN from Kaplan University will prepare you for leadership positions that offer higher income potential in healthcare. A MSN in Nurse Administration focuses on the principles of personnel management, policy development and implementation, budgeting, and the use of information technology. A MSN in Nurse Education helps develop students for roles as faculty or educators in colleges, schools, continuing education programs, and other positions that require nurse education. Click Here|
||University of Saint Mary — A MSN from University of Saint Mary will provide you with the education necessary to become a future leader within your healthcare organization. You will learn about a variety of subject ranging from administration, leadership, and health policy. Healthcare today is taking an important role in the lives of all people that professionals serve. Patients expect highly trained nurses to ensure their health is the best that it can be, and this program teaches the skills to become the best nurses in the profession. Click Here|
Find your Masters of Nursing degree program today...
Fill out this brief form to find your degree today!